Personal chat thread

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
Ken_J

Re: Personal chat thread

Post by Ken_J »

yeah I go in for my second shot, a week from today. I expect a repeat of the first one. Because I had covid, the first shot is like most experience the second. So this will tell me what a third would feel like for people.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Felt very depressed the last few days. Mainly worried about the next few months, both for me personally and the UK as a whole.

But at least the weekend is coming up soon, the weather's improving, and then it's Bank Holiday Monday too.

I need to start getting out more, to the local park, and woodlands.
Ken_J

Post by Ken_J »

my car destroyed it's engine and while I'm staying with family my landlord is now saying that he doesn't think I should stay there anymore. and looking at rentals in my state, I can't afford to pay 900$/month for a bedroom in a 3-4 bedroom apartment share. so I'm likely to have to quit my job, and take a chance on traveling to another state where there are rents I can afford. and hope I can find a place to live there instead.

I've never lived outside the state of NH. alll that's left of my immediate family is there. My mother who is turning 80 soon. My sister who's facing some of her own struggles right now. and some good friends I've had over the years though we don't get together much of late.

But I guess I've not got a lot of options but to pull up roots, and trek off alone to the middle of nowhere and try to scrape by on my own.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Hottest day of the year so far, here in London.

Just had a lovely walk in my local park.

Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:26 pm Hottest day of the year so far, here in London.

I had my share of the hot weather yesterday whilst walking to my friend's house around 40 minutes from me, i spent the rest of the day at his and today relaxing at home before i have to go back to work tomorrow. :(
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Ken_J

Post by Ken_J »

wjfox wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:26 pm Hottest day of the year so far, here in London.

gah, that freaks me out. around here, you so much as look at a blade of grass, you best strip down and do a tick check when you get to a bathroom. little parasites are horrible this year. and Lyme disease is no joke.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Had a great weekend.

Tons of progress on Past Timeline - the first non-homepage content should be up fairly soon.

Went to the local park again and enjoyed the sunshine and 28°C temperature. Then came home and watched England beat Croatia 1-0.

Had a great long phone chat with my parents and talked about London, Covid, work, life, and future plans.

Then played some Dying Light on my PC.

What did the rest of you guys get up to?
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

wjfox wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:01 pm What did the rest of you guys get up to?
Waiting for GPT-4, procrastinating, and working.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Ken_J

Post by Ken_J »

mostly having an existential crisis, a midlife crisis, a financial crisis, a transportation crisis, an employment crisis and a housing crisis, all at the same time.

it's been enough of a ride that I'm struggling to remember why the hell I hoped to be here to make it through longevity escape velocity if this is what the rest of indefinite existence is going to feel like.

starting to get the transportation and employment crisis taken care of, maybe soothing the financials, and housing so they are not immediate crisis, and can be handled more gradually after I've had the chance to manage the others. And so the existential crisis and midlife crisis are still hampering my ability to function and fix the things on my plate right now.

I'd love some kind of letter from a future me, to tell me that I still am around and finding joy in life past my 80s. that would go a long way to easing the midlife, and some degree of the existential. It would be truly great to have a sense of deep time in the future from which I am looking back. Sort of like in the movie Big Fish where in the midst of danger and fear he can remember that he found out how he dies from the witch and the struggles he's going through now aren't it. That would be nice, but I feel like to a degree my worry is less about the death, and more about the dability, enfeeblement and decline.

but it is what it is and it will just have to be what it will be. and tomorrow must be handled as it comes, whatever that entails.