Old Forum Archive

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
erowind

Re: Old Forum Archive

Post by erowind »

I used 7zip if that makes a difference at all? The archive is fully accessible to me as well.
erowind

Post by erowind »

Since some people are still having problems accessing the archive in an ideal way I'm reuploading the file to gdrive with instructions on how I exactly gained access to the archive. This is the file from my personal computer so hopefully if for some reason there's any file corruption happening when people download it from Jakob's github that won't be a problem. I don't think there's anything wrong with the github link, but who knows, maybe some computers just don't like the site for some reason. This tutorial is meant to be as idiot proof as possible, apologies if there's anything here that seems redundant.

Instructions:

Step 1: Download the file from the gdrive link like with any other gdrive link.

Step 2: Move ftl-master.zip from your downloads into a new folder.

Step 3: Download and install 7zip (skip if you already have 7zip.) (I cannot guarantee this will work with any other program like WinRAR even if it seems like it should work.) https://www.7-zip.org/

Step 4: In the new folder right click on ftl-master.zip, then mouse over the 7zip tab which should be under open, then click "extract here"

Step 5: This will have created a new folder called ftl-master. Open the ftl-master folder.

Step 6: Inside ftl-master right click on archive.zip, then mouse over the 7zip tab which should be under open, then click "extract here" This is the largest part of the file so it may take a few minutes to complete depending on how fast your computer is.

Step 7: This will have created a new folder called forum, open the forum folder.

Step 8: Use firefox to open the file "index.html" inside the forum folder. If firefox is not already associated with html files right click on "index.html," hover over the open with tab and click firefox.

Ta da! That should open the forum in its near full glory inside your firefox browser. If you don't have firefox you can get it below. I've had some trouble with the archive in Chrome though your mileage may vary depending on the computer and browser. I know the archive works in firefox on my windows 10 PC. If this doesn't work for you try different computers and different browsers. It should work eventually.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yep, it works! But only with Firefox. In Chrome it brings me back to

I have no idea why but this is making me want to switch to Firefox wholesale.
Also: no, it didn't work in Firefox before now, so this method fixed it for me.

Thanks for the help!
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future