General gaming news and discussion

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: General gaming news and discussion

Post by wjfox »

Quick video of me playing RE3, a remake of the 1999 original.

The quintessential survival horror!

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Looking forward to this.

I don't often play these fantasy-type games, but I really enjoyed Diablo 3.

Tadasuke

about augmented reality gaming

Post by Tadasuke »

In 2016 I awaited Pokemon Go "augmented reality" game, as I imagined it to be the first "true" AR game. I specifically avoided all leaks, info or screenshots, to have a fresh, unspoiled experience. I only speculated with other people how awesome it will be, hyping up.

I played some "AR" games years earlier on the DSi, Android phones and the 3DS. I expected Pokemon Go to be many steps ahead of those earlier games.

Turned out that Pokemon Go was utter disappointment in all areas, showing me that my optimistic vision of the future was not going as anticipated. The only positive was incentivizing us to walk and cycle a lot. Moving around in small groups and talking to strangers about the game were the best parts of the 2016 Pokemon Go craze.

I thought "we must be having a few worse years nowadays, everything is going to rapidly improve in a few more years". Like I told my friend in Q4 2009, that by the 2nd quarter of 2017, newest smartphones will have 32x more RAM than his HTC HD2 ($649, £499) 576 MB, so 18 GB (doubling every 1.5 years). I was wrong, too optimistic. Even in 2023 it has not happened yet.

Some people expecting Apple mixed reality glasses to change everything (for the better) are probably going to be disappointed as well. Weak specs (only underclocked M2 SoC) + large size & weight + very high price ($2999) = situation will be similar, we'll still use smartphones like today (there are already devices like Lenovo ThinkReality A3, Magic Leap 2 or Microsoft HoloLens 2, but they haven't become mainstream yet).
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

For fans of the Expanse television series: -

"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

raklian

Post by raklian »

To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

If you enjoy Minecraft, please subscribe to my nephew's channel.

He is 8. :D

Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:55 pm If you enjoy Minecraft, please subscribe to my nephew's channel.

He is 8. :D

Even though I was not good at Minecraft, I was interested in the videos though in the early 2010s. I'll give him a follow.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »