General gaming news and discussion

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: General gaming news and discussion

Post by wjfox »

YouTube commenters were pointing out the frame-rate drop around the 0:34 mark. Looks like it needs optimising.
erowind

Post by erowind »

2001 was an amazing year in gaming. The only loss is that of the dreamcast beginning it’s slow removal from the market.

I’m imagining what games I would miss the most if I were trapped in that year. Mario Sunshine, Half Life 2, Twilight Princess and Halo 2 are big ones.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

I really want this game.

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Unhappy GTA fans are review-bombing GTA: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition on Metacritic.

At the time of writing, the trilogy has 2000+ user reviews on the aggregate site. Of the 2054 reviews recorded by PC users on Metacritic, the combined score is a miserable 0.5. It peaks at 1.0 for PS5 players, but otherwise, most other platforms boast a similarly low score.
Rockstar found new, revolutionary, and unprecedented ways to f*ck up what was perhaps THE single most blatant, gift-wrapped success in video game history.
The most embarrassing release since Cyberpunk 2077.

MOTHER OF GOD.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

If everything goes well, I should finally be upgrading my PC to something capable of actually playing video games.

In all seriousness, I'm joining the Master Race soon. i7-12700K processor, RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, with an Oculus Quest 2.

Sad thing is, the very first games I'm probably going to play are 2003-era titles like SimCity 4, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and Command and Conquer: Generals before I load up anything more demanding. My crappy $650 2013 PC could already crush these games, so I'll be lighting a campfire with an atom bomb.

I especially want to experience Elite: Dangerous and Mirror's Edge in VR.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Yuli Ban wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:16 am If everything goes well, I should finally be upgrading my PC to something capable of actually playing video games.

In all seriousness, I'm joining the Master Race soon. i7 processor, RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, with an Oculus Quest 2.
Nice. I have an i7 with RTX 2080. The GPU you're getting is almost 20% more powerful. I'd love to try VR someday.

Yuli Ban wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:16 am Sad thing is, the very first games I'm probably going to play are 2003-era titles like SimCity 4, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and Command and Conquer: Generals before I load up anything more demanding. My crappy $650 2013 PC could already crush these games, so I'll be lighting a campfire with an atom bomb.
I think you'll enjoy Cities: Skylines more than Sim City 4.

Yuli Ban wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:16 am I especially want to experience Elite: Dangerous
I had several years of incredible adventures in that game. The sights, sounds, and overall atmosphere... truly engrossing. It has such an incredible sense of scale, realism, and freedom. Literally an entire 1:1 scale galaxy to explore, and intense combat/trading/missions within the small bubble of human-inhabited systems. A lot of mystery too, as you discover ancient relics, abandoned shipwrecks, alien sites, and whatnot.

Easily the best game I ever played, and I packed 1,500+ hours into it, gradually upgrading to bigger and more capable ships.

Unfortunately, my interest waned greatly in 2019, and I haven't played it since. Instead of improving the exploration side (by far the most exciting aspect IMO), the developers decided to focus on stuff that didn't interest me. For example, they added a mediocre FPS shooter for surface missions. The game engine is capable of such beautiful things, I don't think they realise its potential. I wanted them to add new planetary environments, geological features, rare astronomical phenomena, and so on... to experience more of that feeling of "being in space". But the expansion packs really went downhill, and in the end, I felt I'd experienced all there was to see and do in the game.

But still, definitely worth checking out if you're a first-time player.

Anyway, let me know if/when you're on Steam, and perhaps we can play some games online!
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Aye, I considered a 2070 at first, but figured I'd have no trouble with any title or peripheral with a 3070.

I've been obsessed with trying VR for the sunny side of a decade, as is probably evident from the previous forum. I remember distinctly coming within one single click of buying a Rift devkit 2 back in the summer of 2014 and just barely chose against it. I had mobile VR for a while, but that wasn't as exciting.

I specifically got 32GB of RAM for two games specifically: City: Skylines and Microsoft Flight Simulator. And maybe one other. Very RAM-heavy games. Wasn't that much more expensive than 16GB. I simply have nostalgia for SimCity 4. I've been playing that one since 2004. Skylines looks like a true successor, at least in the details that I liked about it.

And if it's ever feasible, we absolutely could meet up in E:D some day.

The early days of this are mostly going to be spent catching up on other titles I missed, emulation of titles I physically own on old consoles, and modding. Lots of modding. I speak no hyperbole when I say it was mods that enticed me to get a new PC. So many games I had on consoles that I looked towards with envy at the PC versions because of mods.