General gaming news and discussion

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: General gaming news and discussion

Post by wjfox »

funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

wjfox wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:05 pm
This might be a weird one, but a detail I've always really wanted to see in video games is characters not wearing the same clothes day after day, and occasional shots of them changing clothes. On the last count, there doesn't have to be nudity, something like a scene where someone takes off a soiled shirt and puts on a new one that is a different color would be fine.

It's a small thing, but it would add an extra touch of realism.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

funkervogt wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:57 pm
This might be a weird one, but a detail I've always really wanted to see in video games is characters not wearing the same clothes day after day, and occasional shots of them changing clothes. On the last count, there doesn't have to be nudity, something like a scene where someone takes off a soiled shirt and puts on a new one that is a different color would be fine.

It's a small thing, but it would add an extra touch of realism.

Something quite similar that I liked is the option in Red Dead 2 for a bath.

It's nice to feel like your character has good hygiene, after a long day of wading through mud, etc. :)

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

Perfect Dark: Everything we know about Joanna Dark's new adventure
By Josh West Contributions from Malindy Hetfeld , Heather Wald published 24 days ago

https://www.gamesradar.com/new-perfect-dark-guide/
A Perfect Dark reboot is in development for Xbox Series X. Announced in 2020, Perfect Dark is set to be a "secret agent thriller set in a near-future world" that is being torn apart by ecological disasters. A new Perfect Dark game has been a long time coming, with super spy Joanna Dark effectively sitting on the sidelines since Perfect Dark Zero launched alongside the Xbox 360 in 2005.

Development of the Perfect Dark reboot is being handled by The Initiative, a brand new studio formed by Microsoft, whose ambition is to "craft an innovative vision for how high-quality games are created and experienced." While we're hoping to see more of the game during E3 2022, at the Xbox and Bethesda Games Showcase in the E3 2022 schedule, you should keep reading for everything we know so far about the new Perfect Dark.
Its such a damn shame the N64 era did not have crossplay internet gaming because Perfect Dark came out at the end of the N64's life cycle and boy was it an underrated game! If they plan to reboot this to show up in 2023 as per the original Perfect Dark story it should be amazing. I can just imagine the high definition graphics technology with amazing enemy AI players known as Simulants in the game used for VR training.

That is the story of N64 that, along with the rest of it, the future corporate agent trains in VR so extensively that they are ready for action in real life which sometimes is not much different from the Full Immersion Virtual Reality training you do. Does that not sound like, at the 1990's time, what is currently being seen now with all our version 1 tech with VR and all? Sure there may be some issues and all considered for all this high tech stuff but the wonderous possibilities are just as awesome.

Anyways yeah I'm hyped for it! And if Microsoft decides to ever incorporate a Virtual Reality version of Perfect Dark I'm there!
raklian

Post by raklian »

To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
citali_

Post by citali_ »

Why do some people find that most gaming and games in general have lost their way? I remember gaming was at its best in the 90s and 2000s, and even today. But some people disagree.
Indie singer/songwriter
https://youtu.be/Q_NhbSsz9ko
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

citali_ wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:22 pm Why do some people find that most gaming and games in general have lost their way? I remember gaming was at its best in the 90s and 2000s, and even today. But some people disagree.
There was a certain "magic" to those early games. But we still have plenty of awesome games today. Some of my best gaming experiences have occurred in the last 5-10 years: Elite Dangerous, Tomb Raider reboot, Red Dead Redemption 2, Detroit: Become Human, and a whole slew of PS3 titles such as God of War 3, the Uncharted series, Vanquish, the list goes on.

I will say this, however – games of today tend to have more bugs, are often delivered late, and frequently get overhyped. Also, the market became oversaturated with FPS shooters a while back. I'd like to see more genuinely original/creative/experimental concepts in gaming. I've been impressed with the Dark Pictures Anthology and its non-linear storylines, for example.

The leaps in graphical quality haven't been quite as massive as the 90s-2000s, but they are still progressing well. Ray-tracing has been perhaps the most significant one of late, plus new techniques like procedural generation. Unreal Engine 5 is also extremely impressive.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »