General gaming news and discussion

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
Time_Traveller

Re: General gaming news and discussion

Post by Time_Traveller »

The assassination of video game consoles by the cowards Xbox and PS5 – Reader’s Feature
Mar 31, 2024, 3:00am

A reader is furious with Sony and Microsoft for their approach to the current video games crisis and predicts the death of game consoles.

I almost couldn’t believe what I was reading this week, with the news coming out of GDC (Game Developers Conference) where it turns out the hot topics were ‘What is going on with Xbox?’ and ‘What’s the point of the PS5 Pro?’ Admittedly, that is what most gamers have been wondering lately but I was kind of hoping that the people making our games had more of a grasp of what’s going on. But then given how clueless the heads of Xbox and PlayStation are, that’s not a surprise.

As far as I know there isn’t a head of PlayStation at the moment, while the head of Xbox is Phil Spencer, who has spent 10 years endlessly talking about and promising things that never happen. It’d almost be funny, if between them the two companies hadn’t sacked thousands of people – actual developers who make the games we enjoy – while still collecting their fat pay checks and company bonuses.

We’re already past the point of blaming people though, because now we have a new reality to deal with: one in which Xbox thinks exclusives are evil and PlayStation is convinced live service games are the future. Both of which are baffling conclusions based on absolutely nothing, but which are not only going to dominate the future of gaming but, I believe, lead to the early death of console gaming.

I don’t want to spend too long going over how stupid these ideas are, because I think it’s evident to anyone with half a brain. But in terms of exclusives, Xbox is clearly only saying that because they want an excuse for making all their games multiformat (only a month after saying they wouldn’t do that). There’s also probably some PlayStation envy in there too, because the idea that Xbox exclusives are having any impact on the games industry, one way or the other, is kind of ludicrous.
https://metro.co.uk/2024/03/31/assassin ... -20543565/
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Tadasuke

what matters and doesn't matter with video games and their development

Post by Tadasuke »

What really matters in my opinion:
  • lowest common denominator hardware (Nintendo Switch, Xbox Series S, i3-12100F, Ryzen 5500, RX 6600, RTX 3050 6GB)
  • affordability of decent and improving hardware
  • how cheap, good and convenient are software tools available for game creators
  • what is the overall atmosphere inside gaming studios and are the employees being treated fairly and equally
  • is game monetisation fair
  • are the games actually fun
  • is every type of gamer able to find a game for themselves
  • are games finished and bug-free
What doesn't really matter in my opinion:
  • 1000 — 3000 USD halo products, like Titan XP, Titan V, Titan RTX, RTX 3090 Ti, RTX 4080 or RTX 4090
  • power-hungry multi-threaded CPUs with additional threads which aren't really utilised anyway (i9-13900K)
  • nonsense expensive products like the i9-9900KS, 11900K, 12900KS, 13900KS or 14900KS, which are factory overclocked with only +3% of performance and +35% power draw (so require deliding and soldering to an expensive cooler)
  • generally all e-penis hardware which is only for show
  • RGB lighting
  • games which are realistic for realism's sake at the expense of fun
  • games which loose any support after just 2 — 5 years
  • games which don't offer anything substantial, only some shiny microtransactions/lootboxes/gacha
Switch 2 which could be 10x more powerful than Switch 1 or $300 console 5x more powerful than Series S would change more for the average consumer than some $3000 accelerator 7x more powerful than RTX 4090. Or $150 6-core CPU with single-thread 3x higher than Ryzen 7600X. Or $200 100W graphics card equal in capabilities to the RTX 4080. These things would really change the landscape!
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

I'm currently playing "Bramble".

A visually beautiful game... but quite disturbing in places. It seems to alternate between cute and terrifying!

This game has an "Overwhelmingly Positive" score based on Steam's user reviews, which I definitely think it deserves.

Synopsis: "A grim adventure set in a world inspired by dark, Nordic fables. Explore the beautiful yet dangerous and twisted land of Bramble in your endeavour to rescue your sister. Traverse a wondrous landscape and survive deadly encounters with Bramble’s many hideous creatures."

Currently 60% off the usual price, until 22 April.

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »