General gaming news and discussion

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: General gaming news and discussion

Post by wjfox »

Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

So far there has not been too many games that have caught my attention recently. I keep getting Star Citizen videos on Tik Tok and am curious since it look so amazing. Does anyone play this? Last MMORPG I played was World of Warcraft early 2000's and that was fun & addicting. I do not know if this is just as.
erowind

Post by erowind »

Two amazing western-mech games that have been out for a while now. Mechwarrior online is free! And the free to play model is not restrictive, been playing for years, have over a dozen kitted out mechs and haven't spent a dollar.

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Grace2Paulson

Post by Grace2Paulson »

Is there anyone who is also waiting for another masterpiece from Rockstar with a ton of secrets?
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

We are seeing diminishing returns. Look at the comparison below - there is more change in the first 10 years than in the last 16 years between 1995 and 2021.

1995 Command & Conquer:
DOS
Windows 95
2005 Age of Empires III:
battle
town
2021 Age of Empires IV:

Or look at this:
1994 Warcraft:
2004 World of Warcraft:
upcoming World of Warcraft Dragonflight:

As you can see, the graphics have improved since 2004/2005, but changes in everything between 1994 and 2005 were much greater than between 2005 and 2022. It looks like diminishing returns instead of accelerating returns. Perhaps VR and AI might change all of that. But currently, changes in key areas are smaller than they used to be. And the worst of all is that Age of Empires IV runs on ... one CPU thread. 🤦‍♂️
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

Or look at 2006 Wii Sports vs newest 2022 Switch Sports: same gameplay with better graphics are less contents (will get more with updates, so it's probably a temporary issue). Keep in mind that Wii Sports was featured for free with most Wii units, but Switch Sports costs $50 and there are various accessories sold separately (leg straps, tennis rackets and more).

But certainly graphics also matter and no one will convince me otherwise. I prefer how Switch Sports looks rather than Wii Sports, which seems very dated. My friend is thinking about buying this. I know people who own Switches, but I don't. I mostly play on PC, often using emulators.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »