General gaming news and discussion

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
Yuli Ban

Re: General gaming news and discussion

Post by Yuli Ban »

Tadasuke wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:55 am
But certainly graphics also matter and no one will convince me otherwise. I prefer how Switch Sports looks rather than Wii Sports, which seems very dated. My friend is thinking about buying this. I know people who own Switches, but I don't. I mostly play on PC, often using emulators.
Yes, graphics do matter and always will and we'll always seek photorealism.
That said, I'd not mind playing a "PSX Sports"-type game that has that wobbly, blocky look of the PlayStation 1.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

In 2010 I talked with my friend about how I was disappointed by the lack of innovation in the MMORPG genre, compared to the 1990s. I argued that there hasn't been any new, groundbreaking innovation in MMORPGs, since the release of Asheron's Call in 1999 (and Everquest before it). Because all basic things we were accustomed to in MMORPGs were all there when the 1990s were ending. And the 2000s brought only nicer graphics, VoIP and MMORPGs on consoles (Final Fantasy XI now has its 20th anniversary). To be fair - those nicer graphics also matter, larger, higher resolution screens and more powerful PCs matter. In 2000 I used 15" 800x600 CRT and in 2010 I used 22" 1680x1050 LCD (there were 2 monitors between them).

Gameplay of MMORPGs in 2010 was kinda the same as gameplay in the year 2000, but easier and more accessible. That's why I thought in a year or two there will come out an MMORPG using motion controls. And in three or four years an MMORPG using neural network AI and player created and modified game world (basically Everquest Next which never came out). So I expected changes in player's interactivity, in graphics and in other areas. For example, I predicted that by 2015 it will be normal to have voice changers implemented in games, allowing a player to sound like their character, matching their voice and looks (not only in MMORPGs). The only actual changes that have happened since 2010 are more advanced graphics and microtransactions.

Characters in Asheron's Call:

I doubt we will see major revolutions in MMORPG genre during the 2020s. I think we need to wait for the 2030s. During 2030s there will be major changes in many, many areas of life, I think. Btw, I don't really care about mobile MMORPGs, so I won't even write about them. You can't properly play an MMORPG using only a smartphone or a tablet touchscreen.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

I will be more blunt and say that I don't see any real positive changes to MMORPGs since 2008 other than slightly better graphics and that's it. The most significant change is the addition of microtransactions. In the 2000s not everybody had a credit card or an online banking account, so there weren't microtransactions and we were better because of it. What's more I think and feel that playing MMORPGs in 2022 is a worse experience than in 2005, provided you had decent hardware and Internet connection in 2005.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
raklian

Post by raklian »

I-Novae Studios has come a long way. :)

To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

One year on, Odyssey still misunderstands what made Elite Dangerous great

published 1 day ago

I am 22,500 lightyears away from Earth, standing on a rock no human has ever touched. Three stars bake the golden dust of this world, while another hangs anxiously in the sky. The mountain range stretches far, far out to the horizon, where it turns ashen white as rock gives way to polar ice. It took weeks (actual, real-time weeks) of travel to get here.

If I press 2, I pull out an assault rifle. The notion is laughable—I'm half a galaxy away from the rest of civilization.

This week marks one year of Elite: Dangerous Odyssey, an expansion to the spacefaring sim that made the ultimate pitch: the ability to finally step outside your ship and walk on the surface of billions of planets, moons, outposts and spaceports.
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/one-year-on- ... ous-great/
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

One of the greatest boss battles in video game history IMO.

"I will make you into a bloody stain" ... lol.

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

Tadasuke wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:21 am I will be more blunt and say that I don't see any real positive changes to MMORPGs since 2008 other than slightly better graphics and that's it. The most significant change is the addition of microtransactions. In the 2000s not everybody had a credit card or an online banking account, so there weren't microtransactions and we were better because of it. What's more I think and feel that playing MMORPGs in 2022 is a worse experience than in 2005, provided you had decent hardware and Internet connection in 2005.
Yah man it actually hurts a bit to see how gaming has been stripped of the fun a bit with this bs. Hell even the gaming corporation employees must be feeling it because for them to turn to unions means the love of the art and everything is gone. I understand money is a factor but the fact a union is even a "thing" means somewhere along the way it became just another soulless corporate job.