Recent Deaths

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: Recent Deaths

Post by wjfox »

Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber, found dead in US prison cell

2 minutes ago

"Unabomber" Ted Kaczynski, who evaded capture for 20 years after a mass bombing campaign, found dead in US prison cell, officials say

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65867291
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Ex-Italian Prime Minister Berlusconi dies at 86

- Silvio Berlusconi, Italy's flamboyant media mogul and politician who led the country four times, has died aged 86

- His flamboyant personality struck a chord with the Italian electorate, which continued to back him despite allegations of corruption and double-dealing

- He was prime minister four times - each time it seemed his political career was over, he managed to bounce back

- Nine years after he was banned from public office for tax fraud, he was back in parliament, elected to Italy's Senate before he turned 86 in September 2022

- It was often his private life - his fondness for surrounding himself with young women, and the ensuing scandals - that made global headlines

- Italy's defence minister, Guido Crosetto, says: "An era is over, an era is closing. I love him so very much"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-65192917
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

US author Cormac McCarthy dies aged 89

11 minutes ago

Cormac McCarthy - America's Pulitzer Prize-winning author - has died aged 89, his publisher has announced.

In its statement, Penguin Random House said the writer died of natural causes at his home in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

McCarthy's books included The Road and No Country for Old Men, both of which were turned into successful films.

Many of his novels were violent tales describing the American frontier and post-apocalyptic worlds. In real life, he was said to be a very private man.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65898867
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Any one of us could just drop dead at any moment.

This guy was only a year older than me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65948497

caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Daniel Ellsberg: A Friend and Peacemaker Who Did So Much More Than Leak the Pentagon Papers
by Rev John Dear
June 19, 2023

Introduction:
(Common Dreams) A few months before he died on Friday, June 16th, famed whistleblower and peace activist Daniel Ellsberg sent an email letter to hundreds of friends announcing that he had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and given three months or so to live. After reflecting on his life’s work for peace, he announced that he was full of “joy and gratitude” and wished the same for all of us who work to end war.

It was one of the most moving and hopeful letters I’ve ever received. For weeks now, I’ve been hearing regularly from his son, my friend Robert Ellsberg, about the profound peace, joy, and sheer happiness Dan was experiencing as he faced his last days. It was befitting that this great icon of peace and truth should know such profound consolation in his last months.

“When I copied the Pentagon Papers in 1969,” Dan wrote on March 1st, “I had every reason to think I would be spending the rest of my life behind bars. It was a fate I would gladly have accepted if it meant hastening the end of the Vietnam War. Yet in the end, that action—in ways I could not have foreseen, due to Nixon’s illegal responses—did have an impact on shortening the war. In addition, thanks to Nixon's crimes, I was spared the imprisonment I expected, and I was able to spend the last fifty years with Patricia and my family, and with you, my friends.”

“What's more,” he continued, “I was able to devote those years to doing everything I could think of to alert the world to the perils of nuclear war and wrongful interventions: lobbying, lecturing, writing and joining with others in acts of protest and nonviolent resistance.”

Read more here: https://www.commondreams.org/opinion/d ... armament
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Human remains are found in California wilderness near search area for actor Julian Sands, authorities say

By Andy Rose, CNN
Published 10:53 PM EDT, Sat June 24, 2023

Human remains were found Saturday in Southern California near the area where investigators have been searching for missing British actor Julian Sands, according to authorities.

“Civilian hikers contacted the Fontana Sheriff’s Station after they discovered human remains in the Mt. Baldy wilderness,” the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department said in a news release. Investigators say positive identification of the remains should be completed next week.

The search for Sands, who has not been seen since going hiking in the San Gabriel Mountains northeast of Los Angeles in January, was focused on the Mount Baldy area after investigators traced pings from his cell phone to that location.

Poor weather and harsh conditions meant the active search had been mostly dormant until resuming last Saturday.

More than 80 search and rescue volunteers, deputies and staff participated in the search efforts, which were supported by two helicopters and drone crews as volunteers searched in “remote areas across Mount Baldy and conducted aerial search and assessment efforts,” according to officials.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/24/ente ... index.html
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Irish singer Sinéad O'Connor dies aged 56

3 minutes ago

Irish singer and activist Sinéad O'Connor has died at the aged of 56.

In a statement, the singer's family said: "It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved Sinéad.

"Her family and friends are devastated and have requested privacy at this very difficult time."

She was best known for her single Nothing Compares 2 U, released in 1990, which went on to hit number one around the world.

The singer, who was outspoken in her social and political views, brought out 10 studio albums in all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66318626

Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Paul Reubens, Actor Who Played Pee-Wee Herman, Dies at 70
JUL 31, 2023 6:10 PM

Paul Reubens, who's best known as the actor behind Pee-Wee Herman, has died at the age of 70 after privately fighting a battle with cancer, his estate announced in an Instagram post today.

"Last night we said farewell to Paul Reubens, an iconic American actor, comedian, writer and producer whose beloved character Pee-wee Herman delighted generations of children and adults with his positivity, whimsy and belief in the importance of kindness," the post reads. "Paul bravely and privately fought cancer for years with his trademark tenacity and wit. A gifted and prolific talent, he will forever live in the comedy pantheon and in our hearts as a treasured friend and man of remarkable character and generosity of spirit."

Reubens first started building the Pee-Wee Herman character in the ‘70s after joining famous Los Angeles-based improvisational comedy team The Groundlings. There, he met actor, comedian, and screenwriter Phil Hartman, with whom he developed Pee-Wee.
https://www.ign.com/articles/paul-reube ... e=facebook
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
MythOfProgress

Post by MythOfProgress »

Angus Cloud, breakout star of ‘Euphoria,’ is dead at 25
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Angus Cloud, the actor who starred as the sweet-natured drug dealer Fezco “Fez” O’Neill on the HBO series “Euphoria,” has died. He was 25.

Cloud’s publicist, Cait Bailey, said Cloud died Monday at his family home in Oakland, California. No cause of death was given.

In a statement, Cloud’s family said goodbye to “an artist, a friend, a brother and a son.

“Last week he buried his father and intensely struggled with this loss,” the family said. “The only comfort we have is knowing Angus is now reunited with his dad, who was his best friend. Angus was open about his battle with mental health and we hope that his passing can be a reminder to others that they are not alone and should not fight this on their own in silence.”
https://apnews.com/article/angus-cloud- ... 351255427c
R.I.P Ziba.