Nuclear Explosions (And Pseudo-Nukes Too!)

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
Maximus

Re: Nuclear Explosions (And Pseudo-Nukes Too!)

Post by Maximus »

Yuli Ban wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:37 am Though not as effective as Threads, The Day After is still a fantastic and horrifying film
Just watched this one yesterday. I agree, Threads is more effective at conveying the horror of nuclear war. I can't put it into words why. It just goes there more than The Day After. The bombing scene with the firestorms raging over the rubble of Sheffield. The lady who catches fire in her apartment and slowly dies over weeks while her husband sits there helpless. And the hopelessness; hospitals are completely ineffective, and years after society is still in ruin, with everyone not dying of exposure to increased UV radiation is engaged in subsistence farming.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

There are plenty of tangible reasons why. Ultimately what makes it so effective for me is that it doesn't linger on any of the immediate aftereffects for too long, as a good chunk of the movie takes place over the course of several years after the bombs fall. The long-term effects of nuclear war are shown in tragic detail. It's not just fallout and the romance of nuclear winter; it's a cold, loveless, raw depiction of human civilization suddenly collapsing. It's heavily implied that humanity ultimatley recovers in raw terms, but not to any level we'd find comfortable.

Threads is so pessimistic because nuclear war is NOT presented as the end of humanity, not even necessarily the end of civilization, but rather the trigger for possibly centuries of suffering brought unto people who don't deserve it and won't understand why. The movie outright states that the human population reaches a minimum, and that minimum is most certainly not "extinction" or anything close. Electricity and modern conveniences still exist 13 years after, but only in very fleeting amounts. The question is if it will still exist 130 years after, because the next generation isn't properly educated.

It's entirely plausible that civilization was beginning to recover after the end of Threads, slowly and surely. It may not have been within 10 years or even 50 years, but the world would someday seem roughly familiar to the people who lived before the bombs fell. Thing is, it's dangerous to show that in a nuclear war film. The whole point of these kinds of movies is to make nuclear war look so over-the-top devastating, so insane, so apocalyptic that the very thought of waging such a war is too horrible to contemplate even to someone backed in a corner with no other options. After all, we don't know what would actually happen. Maybe Threads is actually too optimistic compared to the reality...
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Beene1967

Post by Beene1967 »

I refuse to believe that anyone can use nuclear weapons in 2022
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

raklian

Post by raklian »

Beene1967 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:25 am I refuse to believe that anyone can use nuclear weapons in 2022
North Korea has used one. It was an underground test, though.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Been mentally prepping myself by watching footage of the Beirut blast
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »