The Movies Thread

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: The Movies Thread

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Jurassic Park was one of the first times I became aware of exponential technological progress. In this case, computer-generated imagery.

I remember being in the cinema aged 14, and seeing that huge Brachiosaurus eating from the treetops. It looked so real, it had to be real, I'd never seen anything that convincing on screen before.

And then the stunning T-rex, and Velociraptors later in the movie. I will never forget those reactions I had. The incredulity!

These days, we take CGI for granted – but back then, it was truly revolutionary, in a way that no film has since matched, except perhaps Avatar.

erowind

Post by erowind »

Jurassic Park's seamless blending of practical effects, CGI and well planned camera work keep your eyes focused on the CGI in a way that doesn't allow it to overstay it's welcome to the point where the brain starts questioning it. Instead, it's just accepted as part of this magical scene and is still super convincing to me.
Powers

Post by Powers »

Didn't they use animatronics too?
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Powers wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:57 am Didn't they use animatronics too?
Yes. The bit from 3:56 to 4:01, for example.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

According to a friend of mine, this is quite good, and better than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I might go and see it.

Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:54 am According to a friend of mine, this is quite good, and better than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I might go and see it.

This is on my list to see as well.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Box Office: ‘Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny’ Stumbles With $60 Million Debut, ‘Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken’ Flops
Jul 2, 2023 8:28am PT

Disney’s “Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny” lassoed the top spot on domestic box office charts, collecting an underwhelming $60 million in its opening weekend.

That’s a decent amount of money for a tentpole that’s aimed at older audiences, but “Indiana Jones 5,” one of the most expensive movies ever, cost $295 million before marketing. It’ll take a heroic feat, one that would test even an enduring legend like Indiana Jones, for the fifth installment in the decades-old franchise to become profitable in its theatrical run.

It was a disappointing weekend at the box office as “Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken,” a $70 million-budgeted family film from DreamWorks and Universal, cratered in its sixth-place debut with $5.2 million. In addition to “Dial of Destiny” and “Ruby Gillman,” the DC superhero adventure “The Flash” tumbled to the No. 8 spot in its third weekend of release with $5 million, another embarrassing 67% drop. It has yet to cross $100 million domestically, with ticket sales at $99.2 million to date.
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/box- ... 235660071/
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Wonka: Hugh Grant revealed as Oompa Loompa in new movie trailer

3 hours ago

Hugh Grant has been pictured for the first time as an Oompa Loompa in the first official trailer for Wonka.

The movie tells the backstory of eccentric chocolatier Willy Wonka, played by US star Timothée Chalamet.

It is set before the opening of his famous chocolate factory.

At the end of the trailer, Wonka meets Grant's green-haired and orange-faced character, who is trapped in a glass jar, noting: "So you're the funny little man who's been following me?"

It is a departure for Grant, 62, who is best known for playing quintessentially English gentlemen in films like Notting Hill, Love Actually and Bridget Jones's Diary.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66172861