Sports News and Discussions

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: Sports News and Discussions

Post by wjfox »

My prediction for this evening:

Germany 2–1 England
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

England 2-0 Germany: England end 55-year wait for knockout win over Germany

6 minutes ago

England struck twice late on to end a 55-year wait for a knockout tie victory over Germany amid scenes of huge tension and elation to reach the Euro 2020 quarter-finals at Wembley.

Gareth Southgate's side battled hard to earn the statement victory that has so often eluded England, and it was their talisman of this tournament, Raheem Sterling, who made the decisive breakthrough.

Sterling, who scored the winners against Croatia and the Czech Republic in the group stage, steered in Luke Shaw's cross after 75 minutes to send England's fans, with more than 40,000 inside Wembley, into wild celebrations.

The win was secured with another moment of significance four minutes from time when captain Harry Kane, who had once again struggled to influence the game, headed in from substitute Jack Grealish's perfect delivery for his first goal of Euro 2020.

England were once again thankful for the brilliance of Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, who has yet to concede a goal in the tournament and saved crucially from Timo Werner and Kai Havertz in each half, while Thomas Muller missed a glorious chance to equalise before Kane struck.

Southgate's side will now face either Sweden or Ukraine in the quarter-finals in Rome on Saturday - live on BBC One and BBC iPlayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51198606

Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:13 pm England 2-0 Germany: England end 55-year wait for knockout win over Germany

6 minutes ago

England struck twice late on to end a 55-year wait for a knockout tie victory over Germany amid scenes of huge tension and elation to reach the Euro 2020 quarter-finals at Wembley.

Gareth Southgate's side battled hard to earn the statement victory that has so often eluded England, and it was their talisman of this tournament, Raheem Sterling, who made the decisive breakthrough.

Sterling, who scored the winners against Croatia and the Czech Republic in the group stage, steered in Luke Shaw's cross after 75 minutes to send England's fans, with more than 40,000 inside Wembley, into wild celebrations.

The win was secured with another moment of significance four minutes from time when captain Harry Kane, who had once again struggled to influence the game, headed in from substitute Jack Grealish's perfect delivery for his first goal of Euro 2020.

England were once again thankful for the brilliance of Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, who has yet to concede a goal in the tournament and saved crucially from Timo Werner and Kai Havertz in each half, while Thomas Muller missed a glorious chance to equalise before Kane struck.

Southgate's side will now face either Sweden or Ukraine in the quarter-finals in Rome on Saturday - live on BBC One and BBC iPlayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51198606

Looks like i got my prediction wrong on the football forum i moderate, i had it as 3-1 to Germany.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

My prediction for tonight:

England 1–0 Ukraine
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

England 4-0 Ukraine

Outstanding performance by England!

Through to the semi-final!
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Italy 1-1 Spain (aet 1-1; Italy win 4-2 on penalties)
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

England 2-1 Denmark

England are through to the final!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

^^^Congrats to England 8-)

What I came here to post:

U.S. Sprinter Sha'Carri Richardson Will Not Compete In The Tokyo Olympics
by Natalie Escobar
July 6, 2021

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/06/10135785 ... o-olympics

Entire Article (Excluding Photos):
(NPR) It's official. Despite winning the 100-meter dash at the U.S. Olympic trials last month, Sha'Carri Richardson did not make the USA Track and Field roster released Tuesday evening due to a 30-day suspension after she tested positive for THC, the intoxicant found in marijuana.

The 21-year-old sprinter told NBC's Today Show last Friday that she used the drug to cope with "emotional panic" after a reporter told her days before the trials about her biological mother's death. She said she knew the Olympics' rules about drug use and shouldn't have broken them: "I know what I'm not allowed to do and I still made that decision. [I'm] not making an excuse or looking for any empathy."

Richardson tweeted on Sunday that her odds of winning were better suited to next year's World Athletics Championships: " I'm sorry, I can't be y'all Olympic Champ this year but I promise I'll be your World Champ next year."

The news of Richardson's suspension due to marijuana use caused an uproar since the drug is legal in many states — including Oregon, where the Olympic trials were held and the sprinter used the drug. But THC is a banned substance by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), whose rules are the standard for the Olympics.

On Tuesday evening, the U.S. Olympic Track & Field Team expressed sympathy for Richardson's "extenuating circumstances" and said WADA's rules about THC "should be reevaluated," but also said "it would be detrimental to the integrity of the U.S. Olympic Team Trials for Track & Field if USATF amended its policies following competition, only weeks before the Olympic Games."
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

One of my favorite soccer players was ambassador for Yu-Gi-Oh a show and game my generation loved, he just got fired from the position for racism.

https://www.konami.com/games/corporate/ ... /20210707/

I saw it as a bit of a jokey meme that he was ambassador for Yu-Gi-Oh so in a weird way I find it funny that he got fired.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »