Personal chat thread

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
SerethiaFalcon

Re: Personal chat thread

Post by SerethiaFalcon »

Nevermind, I found Yuli Ban's post in his chest thread that answered my questions. Now, I'm just reflecting on it all. I'm actually thinking of the bigger picture.

If creative expressions are fully automated first, that will put a lot of people out of a job, just thinking on my former job's clients/patrons as one perspective. Which will have a ripple effect on other jobs that are affected by the creatives. I was also thinking of both how ironic this all is, but also, how this might actually make humanity more depressed. We will be wowed by what automation in the creative sphere can do, but it will get depressing for creatives especially (who already lean on the depressive side to some degree). I also just think it will make humanity more anxious (aka if the creatives can be replaced, what about my job), and/or deflated. Art, movies, games, books all being created by ai instead of humans will be difficult to accept fully I think. Like, we will enjoy it, but it not being a human creating it will feel different. Machines are not something you can emulate or be inspired from to be like them (unless you join them).

I don't know what amount of jobs would be affected, but if it was as high as ten percent of people affected in some way, even with that small amount, I'm not sure how capitalism can survive. Especially if people are replaced and have nowhere to go, or have to downgrade their job. That could create huge rebellions, but also, cause problems. Less consumers (or poorer consumers) equals less money and more needy people equals more weightiness on the other side of the equation, in one way or another. Also, in situations like the heat waves, if you have more homeless people due to joblessness, you will have way more deaths. So, it's not good all around. If the problems surrounding the pandemic and how that created issues for a lot of businesses etc, has already caused mass chaos societally. Imagine how much more so automation of even some jobs without replacements (or with worse off jobs in return) is going to be and how much more people are going to be conspiracy theory inclined and anti technology/lean towards extremism. Anyways, those were my thoughts after what I've read. What do you all think?
Last edited by SerethiaFalcon on Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
erowind

Post by erowind »

Missing old members right now. So many people I used to chat with here just aren’t around anymore. Even off the site with the few I added elsewhere. Hope you’re all well, looking forward to the upcoming 2045 thread.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

I worked on my business/self employment for 5 hours and a half hours today. I didn't know I was capable of working that much in a non work environment. 5.5 times 7 is 38.5 which is 30 minutes more than a full time work week in Australia.

This daily work load should become the new normal and relatively easy.

I hope by effectively working full time on my business/self employment I will reach my following goal.

One of my 6 month goals ending 28/11/2021 (the most important one) was "Business profit 3k (USD I presume) in a 30 day period with a business situation improving over the medium to long term indicating it could be your full time employment".

This would mean I wouldn't need to go to university for years to upgrade my work situation, my self employment would give me alot of freedom and it's a crucial part of the direction I want to head in.

Previously I talked about going to University I haven't been swapping and changing goals it's just that I found out I can't do the course I wanted to do until the start of next year and thought I would try this route having university as a backup if I don't get anywhere in 6 months.

I do feel guilty as I am obviously very interested in Marxism and I am actively working towards being Petite Bourgeoisie however I do need to act in my best interest.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Another night of insomnia. Keep waking up too early. No idea what's causing this.

The last time I had a decent sleep was probably 4-5 months ago.

At this rate, I will probably die of a heart attack before I'm 50.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:20 am Another night of insomnia. Keep waking up too early. No idea what's causing this.

The last time I had a decent sleep was probably 4-5 months ago.

At this rate, I will probably die of a heart attack before I'm 50.
There must be something that keeps causing it and have you tried any sleep medication like Nytol?
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Time_Traveller wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:43 am
There must be something that keeps causing it and have you tried any sleep medication like Nytol?
Haven't tried any, but will ask my doctor at the next appointment.
Ken_J

Post by Ken_J »

I've found in the past that I had high homocysteine levels, and moderate low levels of b12, and folate. Mine also came with panic attacks when I try to get back to sleep.

More recently I've had some success with magnesium, melatonin, and sleep meditation. also playing sleep sounds videos on youtube that run for 3-6 hours.

in todays round of what about this year is fucking with me... I now have shingles. yay.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Back in December last year, I noticed I was getting very heavy, so this year I've been making a real effort to lose weight – eating smaller meals, foods with less calories, doing lots of walking on my treadmill and outdoors.

I've tried losing weight before, but normally gave up after a few weeks. This time I persisted, and today I finally reached my goal of <80 kg (12.6 st). Next target will be 75 kg (11.8 st), which I believe is the optimal weight based on my height.

Dr. Casey

Post by Dr. Casey »

erowind wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:14 am Missing old members right now. So many people I used to chat with here just aren’t around anymore. Even off the site with the few I added elsewhere. Hope you’re all well, looking forward to the upcoming 2045 thread.
Here's one old member back, at least. I've been meaning to sign up for a while now, just been too lazy. (Dr. Casey is my usual nickname everywhere, based on the old TV show from the 60s that shared my last name, but back in 2012 I had a phase where I removed the 'doctor' part since people took it seriously and thought I was an actual doctor.)

That's some great weight loss, Will. I went through a similar thing last year, going from the 175-185 range down to the 150s.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Dr. Casey wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:38 am
erowind wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:14 am Missing old members right now. So many people I used to chat with here just aren’t around anymore. Even off the site with the few I added elsewhere. Hope you’re all well, looking forward to the upcoming 2045 thread.
Here's one old member back, at least. I've been meaning to sign up for a while now, just been too lazy. (Dr. Casey is my usual nickname everywhere, based on the old TV show from the 60s that shared my last name, but back in 2012 I had a phase where I removed the 'doctor' part since people took it seriously and thought I was an actual doctor.)

That's some great weight loss, Will. I went through a similar thing last year, going from the 175-185 range down to the 150s.
Welcome back. :) Hey, you should get yourself an avatar.