Microchip Medicine

Yuli Ban

Microchip Medicine

Post by Yuli Ban »

Microchipping Humans With Ultrasound Powered Devices Could Alter Medicine
Conspiracy Theories Aside, New Research Into Tiny Microchips Could Save Countless Lives
While conspiracy theorists will go bananas over microchipping humans, modern medicine relies on implantable medical devices to treat a whole host of ailments. As this technology is becoming increasingly more common, even the smallest applications are still considered bulky, difficult to communicate with, and nearly all require new batteries from time to time. External devices like wearables and other health tracking tools have addressed this to some degree, but devices designed to work inside the body still suffer from these and other limitations.

In hopes of creating a simple solution to this complex problem, a research team from the Columbia School of Engineering and Applied Science has developed a first-of-its-kind, tiny, injectable microchip. This tiny device can be given instructions and recharged using ultrasound.

“This should be revolutionary for developing wireless, miniaturized implantable medical devices that can sense different things, be used in clinical applications, and eventually approved for human use,” said team leader Ken Shepard, a Lau Family professor of electrical engineering as well as a professor of biomedical engineering, in the press release announcing the research.
Seriously, some days I feel I'm the only one who sees the promise of this technology. Not that I can't see the potential for abuse, but if we had a non-for profit healthcare and far more widespread ownership of goods, this wouldn't be such a scary prospect. I suppose the main issue there is that the same people who scream about this tech being evil also scream about THAT being evil too, basically pigeonholing them towards blut und boden agrarian fascism without even realizing it.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: Microchip Medicine

Post by wjfox »

caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Perhaps if microchip-based devices were more a matter of optional wear, they would be more acceptable to the general public.

‘Fitbit for the Face’ Can Turn any Face Mask into Smart Monitoring Device
January 12, 2022

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/939936

Introduction:
(EurekAlert) Northwestern University engineers have developed a new smart sensor platform for face masks that they are calling a “Fitbit for the face.”

Dubbed “FaceBit,” the lightweight, quarter-sized sensor uses a tiny magnet to attach to any N95, cloth or surgical face mask.

Not only can it sense the user’s real-time respiration rate, heart rate and mask wear time, it also may be able to replace cumbersome tests by measuring mask fit. All this information is then wirelessly transmitted to a smartphone app, which contains a dashboard for real-time health monitoring. The app can immediately alert the user when issues — such as elevated heart rate or a leak in the mask — unexpectedly arise. The physiological data also could be used to predict fatigue, physical health status and emotional state.

Although a tiny battery powers the device, FaceBit is designed to harvest energy from any variety of ambient sources — including the force of the user’s breathing, motion and heat from a user’s breath as well as from the sun. This extends the sensor’s battery life, lengthening time between charges.

“We wanted to design an intelligent face mask for health care professionals that does not need to be inconveniently plugged in during the middle of a shift,” said Northwestern’s Josiah Hester, who led the device development. “We augmented the battery’s energy with energy harvesting from various sources, which means that you can wear the mask for a week or two without having to charge or replace the battery.”
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Doozer

Post by Doozer »

I think brain-implanted microchips could be used for boosting one's mental capacity.
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

In before (inb4) shut off the chip! becomes a new thing politicians say on TV when this becomes normalized for petty political reasons as always of course.